- Coming Back to Life - Pink Floyd (Pulse). Timeless Classic. Its a song for any mood. Cheers me up and gets me going when I'm down. Calms me down and soothes me when I'm agitated.
- November Rain - Guns N' Roses (Use Your Illusion 1). This is the most complete relationship song. It has a stanza that can be compared to each of the 3 broad states of a relationship: The fight, the uncertainty and the reconciliation.
- Lazarus - Porcupine Tree (Deadwing). This is the second part of the Deadwing Screenplay trilogy (Trains - Lazarus - Half Light). Its about a son 'David' singing to mother 'Elizabeth' upon her death. Beautiful Music and cruel, painful, emotional lyrics make both this song and its sequel (Half Light) make it among the most played songs in my list.
- She Will Be Loved - Maroon 5 (Songs About Jane). We all know this one. Maroon 5's best song till date. About a friend who is always there for his female friend in time of need, who knows her every secret, but is secretly in love with her. He sings about how the guy will always be there for the girl but will never be able to have his feelings reciprocated. Try watching the video of Maroon 5 on MTV World Stage at Vegas. Their finale with this song and getting the crowd to sing the end in two halves just blew me away!!
- Take Me Home, Country Roads - John Denver (Poems, Prayers and Promises). The best sing-along EVER!!! Liberating. Relaxing. Gets my feet tapping. John Denver's unquestionable best.
A few very close contenders that JUST missed out on the list: Kandisa (Indian Ocean), Learning to Fly, Comfortably Numb (Pink Floyd), Sweet Child O' Mine, Stranged, Knockin' on Heaven's Door (Guns N' Roses), Tears in Heaven (Eric Clapton). And many more.
I also tend to go deep into the meaning of a song's lyrics... It helps me truly appreciate the beauty of the song. I might write a few posts on intriguing song meanings soon.
Meanwhile, enjoy these. :)